Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Last Call

Advertisement
I came to the Colombo airport. It was a nice morning though the airport was a little bit hectic.

“Please give me a window seat”.

I said “Hello” to few people while I was going through the air bridge to the flight.
While thanking the nice lady officer who put me into a window seat , I could see the eastern sky in orange color with the rising sun.
Time is about 7.10 am. I really wanted to say “hello” to you before I leave the ground. But now it’s too late.
There were lots of images across my mind. I look through the window. My mind is so nervous. Last night I was sleepless, just like most of the nights.
                             
I see the ocean below me… at least one ship is not there… it’s just blue …. like my heart… nothing is there. Only emptiness… It makes me sad… I merely switched on my mobile phone… I see your photos which I took at your home. You were pretty… happy… and was a bit surprised… sitting on a chair… while eating a candy stick wearing a tiny skirt and a blouse.….. I remember the moment….

I asked…
 
“Shall I take a picture of you?”
 
“For what ?”
 
“Just To keep with me”
 
“So… I’m here… you can see me whenever you want… huh?”
 
“Yeah… you are right for the moment… but who knows the future?”
 
While giggling…. you said.
Mmmm…. I don’t know… is it worth to keep my picture with you, anyway?”

“Drinks …. Sir?”
 
I woke up from the Flight Steward's voice…
 
“Yes...Whisky please…”
 
After six years we talked last month. You were telling me that you were going to marry him in a couple of months. I thought to myself it was "meant to be”. I’m happy about you anyway.
But for me…. Oh… yes... At least I can talk with you. Is it really enough for me? 

“Damn… Yes”… otherwise what? You are good …. still you talk with me. I can live with it…. that’ll make me live.

Suddenly I saw a notice on the flight information display.

“Make a call at $10”
 
“Wow”…. Once I saw this, the person who came to my mind is…. “you”… I just wanted to make a call to you. I was 40,000 feet above the ocean. I wanted to make a historic moment of our lives, especially mine. 

It reminds me, how I used to call you back in those days. I didn’t have a telephone either. I went to the telephone booth, I got some money in my pockets… honestly…. it was my whole salary for a month. Oh...Yes… I’m ready to spend all this money to talk with you. Back then, my salary was not enough to buy a phone even.
We talked a lot, sometimes for hours… about everything.

You even sang to me, you told stories, we played games and you made jokes. I was always so happy with you. I loved every single second that I talked with you… so I never felt time was ticking. I remember… you had such a wonderful smile… sometime I ask you to smile… I mean smile for nothing, though it was a crazy idea. 

It's 2.30pm… now I am at “Changi” airport. I came out from the airport and got into the taxi.

“Peninsula Excelsior … please…..”

“Yes sir… right away… sir”

I remembered, for the first and last time, Once … we got into a bus… it was fully crowded… like a hell… but It was like a private jet plane for me. When you are nearby me, leaning to each other… I don’t care what happens around me and you… standing and holding a bar, smiling and talking like a child and sometimes staring at me with your round eyes… I felt your smell… your sweat mixed with the perfume you used… And you paid the bus fare for me… we both laughed out aloud then…. that was the only time we traveled together.

“Sir… we are at Excelsior Hotel”
“Oh… yes…. here… and…. Keep the change”
“Good day sir”
“Yeah… good day”
 
I must stay here for a few days… perhaps I must talk to you… maybe tomorrow… or maybe today itself. And of course...I must buy an adorable gift for you… and I should post a nice card to you.
With my official works it passed for four days… without any sense. Tomorrow, I must go back… still I didn’t make a call to you or… I didn’t buy anything for you.
I went to Orchard road, where there are beautiful, classic and elegant shops. I feel it’s just like you. So… what I get for you? A watch…. A perfume… jewelry… A dress… or a souvenir… I’m so confused… should it be a world class brand? Should be it be cute little gift? … oh goodness... I have never bought a gift for a girl. I remember once… your boyfriend gave you a computer printer. It was worth about….. three times of my one month salary, back then. It makes me laugh now. So what should I get for you now…? … An elegant gift for an elegant woman…
 
I stuck in the “Cartier”. And I picked …”earrings”….
This is how they explain it…

"Fluid curves hand with diamonds, in a soft wavelike design. The stones sparkle against the hypnotic black of the lacquer or illuminate pink or white gold. This play of shimmering reflections flickers between shadow and light.” 

For a moment… I thought... I think this fits you in every sense.
I bought it with a happy smile. Tomorrow I fly back… and I will surprise you with this. I came to my hotel room and try to sleep. It was almost sleepless night, as usual.

The next day, early in the morning I switched on my smart device while I was going to have my breakfast.

 “Hi… hw r u? just wanna make a request from u.Pls Dnt misunderstand .My fiancé is coming 2 SL 2mrw.So as u know ab him lets not have contacts from nw bt keep our friendship in our minds.I really hope u understand me as u r a v gud friend of mine.I really dnt want 2 loose ur friendship. u r such a nice frnd of mine.Pls pls dnt misunderstand.take care ur self.G nite.”

I stopped for a while… and leaned on to the door. Why this happened to me? Why this happens, every time I try to speak with her? I don’t want to marry her… I don’t even want to touch her… I don’t want to stay around here, any more… I don’t want anything from her neither… I just want to have a small chat with her…. for God sake… a “small, friendly chat” Oh…. why… why this…?
Should I call her for one last time?
I just told her that I got her message and…. and I told… it would happen, as you wish. She was happy about it. 

I asked.

“So… you gonna come to the airport to pick him?”
 
“Yeah… I would… when will you be back?

“Today…mostly around 18.30”

“He is coming from Dublin… He will arrive around 14.30”

“That’s good…when I come…you may left with him already…that’s perfect”

She sighed…and asked…

“Did I make you upset?”

“No…not really…”

“Did I make something in your mind; about me…I mean... kinda ....feeling…?”

“No…no…I’m fine”

“Thanks for god…I’m happy”

I am a great pretender… how could I tell, the truth? I didn’t even tell that I bought a gift for her.

 “Ok…then…it came to the end ….just one last “Good bye forever”.

Still I’m thinking about you. And…What should I have done to keep you with me? Yes…to safe guard the friendship at least?  I couldn't do anything… I just listened to you. Always…I was listening…. I wanted to make peace in your mind…Once…I remembered..I asked from you…

“What do you pray for god …“Rooni”…?”

“I asked them to make me happy always”

If you difficult to find that happiness and peace in your mind when I’m around you…it’s crazy... So I must let you go…as you wish… it’s because that’s the best thing that I could do for you…. to fulfil your expectations and happiness… Though, I love you endlessly.

 
Inspired by true events.
By Manu Fernando

No comments: