Thursday, May 15, 2014

A love after life

Advertisement
It was late 1970 in Sri Lanka. His name was Michel De Silva. He had a pen pal called Lisa Barton from England. Not like these days, in that era people used only postal mail to contact each other. That was why they called those long distance friends as “Pen Pals”. Michael and Lisa exchanged mails and pictures for years. But, they never talked even by a telephone. Because, a telephone was a luxurious item for Sri Lankans those days. Very limited people had telephones.

Eventually, they fell in love. Michel was from a middle class family, he didn’t have money to fly to England. Lisa was a student. She too did not have any money for flights. But she promised to come to Sri Lanka one day to visit Michel, as soon as possible, when she had enough money.
  
Time passed by, their love matured day by day and they were in such a romance. They lived happily with their hopes and dreams of near future. One day, Michael did post a post card which said :

My Dear Lisa,

“I go hiking in the mountains with my friends. I wish you were here too, with me. With all my love”.

Yours' Loving Michel. 

Actually it was not just a mountain hike. It was a hiking in the sacred mountain caled “Adam’s Peak”. They left for the mountain hike in one fine day. It began to get dark when they arrived at the mountain site. After they had supper, they started to hike. They were hiking for hours without a rest. It was almost about to dawn, when they got their first rest. But, still dark was around and was a thick mist. So, they thought to sit for a while. Everybody sat on somewhere they could find in the dark and Micheal went away from the crowd to answer a call from nature!

Suddenly, he was astonished from what he saw there. It was Lisa; she was in a nice white color lace gown.  He had never met Lisa live before, he recognized her in a blink of an eye.

“My godness Lisa, you are here…Gosh…I was thinking about you all the way…”

“Yes I’m...”

“Why…why didn’t you tell me that you were coming to Sri Lanka...  I even posted you a Card saying I was coming here…did you find that? I did it five days before I came here”.

“No I didn’t …So Michel…I met you at last… my love!!!”

“Lisa… you came here all alone? Where is the rest of your people? You know? My friends are over there, come…” while speaking he moved closer to touch her hand….

But…. She disappeared all of a sudden in to the thick dark mist. He looked around…but he couldn’t find her. She vanished without any traces. He could only see darkness with the mist. He couldn’t understand what he saw. He thought, it may be an illusion, because he was thinking about her all day long. Hence, he didn’t tell anything to his friends there. But he was pretty sure that she addressed him as “So Michel…I met you at last… my love!!!”

Michel arrived home after two days, His mother kept a Telegram in his hand.

Dear Michel,

Lisa passedaway due to a terrible car accident. I’m so sorry.

Lisa's loving friend, 

Susan




By Manu Fernando

No comments: